dwgwpd home
dec home > dwgwpd home > drinking water systems > tnc > permits

TNC Permitting

Source Water Permit

All Public Water Supply Systems are required to have a source permit for any new source, hydrofracturing or deepening of an existing source, or any increase in withdrawal of an existing source. Applicants must comply with the Water Supply Rule, Chapter 21.

If you have any questions please contact the source permitting section

The Source Permit Program Map indicates which hydrogeologist is responsible for which county.

The TNC Source Permit application starts the review process for transient, non-community water supply sources. A source permit is required for any new, proposed water source increase in withdrawal, and deepening or hydrofracturing of an existing permitted water source.

A Source Testing Review application initiates the review and approval process for studies and testing to be conducted on source(s) to serve proposed or changes to existing transient, non-community water supplies. 

Monitoring for Source Permitting
Prior to constructing a new source or using an existing source to serve a TNC, a Source Water Permit from the DWGWPD is required. As part of the permit process, the system must test the source for each of the contaminants in Tables 1 and 2 below. The water samples must be collected from the source before any treatment or storage. If the result of testing for a contaminant exceeds a standard, the system may be required to treat or abandon the source. Results must be submitted to the DWGWPD.


Table 1.  Primary Contaminant Standards
for TNC Water Systems

Primary Contaminant

Maximum Contaminant Level (MCL)


0.050 milligrams per liter (mg/L)
note: MCL is 10 for TNCs serving residential user(s)


10 mg/L


1.0 mg/L

Total Coliform Bacteria



20 micrograms per liter (ug/L)

Table 2.  Secondary Contaminant Standards
for TNC Water Systems

Secondary Contaminant

Secondary Maximum Contaminant Level (SMCL)


250 milligrams per liter (mg/L)


0.3 mg/L


0.05 mg/L


3 threshold odor number


6.5 to 8.5


250 mg/L


This application is required to qualify for a Groundwater Under the Direct Influence of Surface Water (GWUDI) exemption from performing a microscopic particulate analysis (MPA) test. 

Well ID Sheets-For Use When Pump Testing a Well 

A Home Owner Letter is available for consultants when setting up a source pumping test program 

Construction Permit
Prior to performing any construction on the water system, including connection of a new water source, the system must apply for a permit to construct from the DWGWPD.

The Construction Permit Program Map defines which engineer is responsible for which county.

Operating Permit



drinkingwater.vermont.gov   groundwater.vermont.gov   septic.vermont.gov wastewater.vermont.gov
VT DEC Drinking Water and Groundwater Protection Division 1 National Life Drive, Main Building, 2nd Floor  Montpelier, VT  05620-3521
Telephone toll-free in VT: 800-823-6500 or call 802-241-3400    Fax: 802-828-1541


State of Vermont Agencies & Depts.     Access Government 24/7     About Vermont.Gov     Privacy Policy

A Vermont Government Website Copyright 2004 State of Vermont - All rights reserved