dwgwpd home
dec home > dwgwpd home > drinking water systems > tnc

Transient Non Community (TNC) Water Systems

In Vermont, people assume the drinking water they consume while recreating, dining out, traveling, and staying overnight at public facilities is safe to drink. To make this assumption a reality, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Vermont Drinking Water and Groundwater Protection Division have guidelines to help facilities serving the public provide safe drinking water.  These guidelines apply to transient non-community (TNC) water systems. This site describes the requirements for TNCs.  It also provides information to help TNC personnel better understand the components of their drinking water system and how to operate and maintain it.

 What is a TNC?
A transient non-community (TNC) system is any publicly or privately owned establishment that has its own drinking water source(s), provides water for human consumption, and serves 25 or more people per day at least 60 days per year. The persons served need not be the same people. Some examples of businesses that are commonly TNCs are listed below. Many TNCs are the small businesses that help make Vermont unique and that are the mainstay of the state’s tourism industry. The Drinking Water and Groundwater Protection Division regulates about 700 TNCs.


 Examples of Establishments that are Typically TNCs
Airport Marina
Bed and Breakfast Park (Town, State, & Federal)
Campground Picnic Area
Church Recreation Center
Clubs (e.g., Rotary & Elks) Rest Stop
Country Club Restaurant
Dentist's Office Riding School (Equestrian)
Doctor's Office Service Station
Fitness Center & Gym Snack Bar
Golf Course Summer Camp
Hostel Tavern
Hotel, Inn, Motel, & Lodge Welcome Center


Water for human consumption includes that used for drinking, bathing, showering, cooking, dishwashing, and maintaining oral hygiene and other sanitary functions in which the public has access to the water. Some examples at TNCs include water used in bubblers/fountains, coffee makers, post mixed beverage machines, restroom facilities, and that is used to make ice, foodstuffs, or other products for human consumption. Contact the Drinking Water and Groundwater Protection Division if you are not sure whether your system is a TNC.

To find out information about your public water system you can visit Drinking Water Watch. If you don’t know the WSID (VTXXXXXXX) of your water system, you can search using any part of the water system’s name or simply by the county you are in. Drinking Water Watch will provide information regarding official contacts, water quality monitoring results, population number and type, water system facilities (source, tanks, treatment, etc.) and violations, if any, that exist for the system.

TNCs require a variety of permits, including separate source, construction and operating permits.

TNCs also require a Certified Operator for operation.

There are numerous applications, forms, and tools and guidance, practices, and procedures that assist TNCs in their operation.

Water Quality Monitoring



drinkingwater.vermont.gov   groundwater.vermont.gov   septic.vermont.gov wastewater.vermont.gov
VT DEC Drinking Water and Groundwater Protection Division 1 National Life Drive, Main Building, 2nd Floor  Montpelier, VT  05620-3521
Telephone toll-free in VT: 800-823-6500 or call 802-241-3400    Fax: 802-828-1541


State of Vermont Agencies & Depts.     Access Government 24/7     About Vermont.Gov     Privacy Policy

A Vermont Government Website Copyright 2004 State of Vermont - All rights reserved