dwgwpd home
dec home > dwgwpd home > drinking water systems > ntnc > permits

Non-Transient, Non-Community Water Systems - Permits

Source Water Permits

All Public Water Supply Systems are required to have a source permit for any new source, hydrofracturing or deepening of an existing source, or any increase in withdrawal of an existing source. Applicants must comply with the Water Supply Rule, Chapter 21 .

If you have any questions please contact the source permitting section.

The Source Permit Program Map indicates which hydrogeologist is responsible for which county.

The Source Permit application starts the review process for non-transient, non-community water supply sources. A source permit is required for any new, proposed water source and deepening or hydrofracturing of an existing permitted water source.

A NTNC Source Testing Review application initiates the review and approval process for studies and testing to be conducted on source(s) to serve proposed or changes to existing non-transient, non-community water supplies.  The Initial Source Water Quality Testing list indicates which water quality compounds are to be sampled during the source permitting process. 

Electronic Submittal Procedure for Source Protection Areas (SPAs)
This format is to be used for all submittals of new or changed Source Protection Areas and is to be included along with the Source Evaluation Final Report. *keep existing links—they are out of our control*
Link to the GIS Data Template
Link to the Source Protection Area Data Standard

For Multiple Water Sources – Each water source is to have a specific SPA associated with it. It is recognized that some SPAs may include areas that overlap with another source’s SPA. That is acceptable.
This application is required to qualify for a Groundwater Under the Direct Influence of Surface Water (GWUDI) exemption from performing a microscopic particulate analysis (MPA) test. GWUDI  Guidance Document

The Certification of Water Source Likely Affected by Agricultural Lands form is to be completed and submitted by the source permit applicant for any new public water source if there are any agricultural lands in the area that may affect the proposed water source. 

Well ID Sheets-For Use When Pump Testing a Well:

A Home Owner Letter is available for consultants when setting up a source pumping test program 

Construction Permit
Prior to performing any construction on the water system, including connection of a new water source, the system must apply for a permit to construct from the DWGWPD.
The Construction Permit Program Map defines which engineer is responsible for which county.

Operating Permit  (link to permit page)



drinkingwater.vermont.gov   groundwater.vermont.gov   septic.vermont.gov wastewater.vermont.gov
VT DEC Drinking Water and Groundwater Protection Division 1 National Life Drive, Main Building, 2nd Floor  Montpelier, VT  05620-3521
Telephone 802-828-1535    Fax: 802-828-1541


State of Vermont Agencies & Depts.     Access Government 24/7     About Vermont.Gov     Privacy Policy

A Vermont Government Website Copyright 2004 State of Vermont - All rights reserved